5.15.2008

peer pressure


"Oh look, we got an invite to Ash friends' (twin girls) birthday party!"
I always get so excited to get invited for birthday parties, even if it's for the kids.

I open the evite excitedly ...
I read the invitation ...
I re-read the invitation ...
And read it again ...
then I forward it to hubby to read ...

"Honey, did you get my email on that invitation?"
"Yeah."
"Did I read it correctly that there will be a pony ride and petting zoo in their backyard?"
"Yeah."
"IN their backyard!?" I exclaimed.
"Yeah."
"Oh Wow."
I hurriedly type in their address into Google Maps. Yup, they live in "The Hills" of our neighborhood.

Crap and here I am just thinking about throwing Ashley's party in the park with Daddy on the grill.

If I already feel this type of pressure for a 4 year old birthday party, what am I going to do come their sweet sixteen?

12 comments:

Miss Lisa said...

I really think the whole 'big party' thing is just insane. I have done a few 'fancy' b-days for my kids but their favorite ones are the ones at the house with activities like making pizza (dough and all). Kids don't notice all this expensive stuff, esp. at this age--it's more for parents I think. Just have fun at the party and be grateful you don't have pony poo in your backyard :)

Chrissy said...

I'd go for some grilled dogs and burgers at the park any day! Actually, I went to a petting zoo b-day party last year and the kids enjoyed it for a few minutes and then were ready to move on.

ink said...

i have some killer kids' games if you need ideas. i used to plan all my brother's birthday parties in elementary school :)

Sarah said...

I actually live in the horse capitol of the world (at least that is what we call it) and we never had pony rides at our birthday parties! We had sleep overs, or big cook outs! I think the park and the grill will be perfect!

Kendra said...

lol ~ I know what you are talking about! :)
You can still go all out in the park though and show them up! HA!
And I love how you said "Crap" I use that word a lot ... I think I've told you that before ... can't remember.

K~

Unknown said...

Must.Not.Give.In. Don't succumb to the peer pressure. It's not a competition. Ash will love whatever you do for her because you love her.

SherE1 said...

I went to a birthday party where there was a pony ride (no petting zoo, though) and the thing that kind of sucked was the birthday girl (who was only 2 at the time) wouldn't let any of the other kids ride the pony. She was totally hogging it!

I wouldn't go so far as pony ride or petting zoo. The furthest I'd go is HOT DOG STEAMER and POPCORN MACHINE for a baseball themed FIRST birthday party. You heard me right, sister! He can't even EAT hot dogs or popcorn yet but we're having it! Kill me now.

DD said...

Dont try to "keep up with the joneses". The "Joneses" are BROKE and their kids are self-absorbed snobs who end up coming into my college classroom thinking they DESERVE an A just cause they bothered to show up. Don't try to be outdone... creativity always rules, not $$$ spent. Your kid will remember a themed dress-up party much longer than she'll remember when you rented out an entire water park ;)

Valarie Lea said...

Your kids will be happy with the party you give them at the park. Kids want to run around and play. They will be more than happy with the park. We always just have a party at our house and invite friends and family over and cook out and the kids have a blast.

Karen MEG said...

Pony rides, in the backyard, that's really extreme partying!

I wouldn't worry so much about keeping up with the Jones'; kids will have fun whenever there are other kids and cake.

Your kids are gorgeous, BTW.

Unknown said...

The BEST birthday parties are at the park. Kids like to just run around and be kids! We've been to the pony parties before. One poor pony deals with a bunch of kids squealing "It's MY turn!" "You just WENT!" "I haven't gotten to ride the pony yet!!!"

I vote park. The kids will love it!

Kendra said...

Now I'm missing you! :)
Where are you????!!!