When a coworker and you cross paths and he/she says,"Hi." and followed by, "How are you?" while kept on walking.... are you suppose to answer that question while walking away?
When a person gifts really generously, are they expecting the same in return?
What do you do when your hostess kept placing food on your plate despite of your polite "no thank you"s?
How do you politely turn down a party invite because you just simply don't want to socialize that day?
What do you say to a friend when they think they are sarcastic, but it is actually mean?
I have a real problem in telling people, "no." How do one get over that and be able to politely reject someone/something?

3 comments:
You've got some tough questions.
If someone says 'how are you' and walks away maybe say 'my day was a lot better til I saw you' if they keep walking and smiling, they weren't listening anyway ;) But really, no response if they keep walking.
Gifts are not about the value and the gift giver should not be comparing tit for tat.
On food, push the plate away.
Turning down an invite--I would love to make it but have plans (hey a day just hanging out at home needs to planned these days!)
If a friend seems mean--if she's close tell her. if not, write her off ;)
On saying no--read "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World" for help; we all have issues with this one!
So did I help or make it worse :p
I mostly agree with Lisa.
I think it is annoying when people say "how are you" as though it is not a question. But really, most people are just too wrapped up in what they are doing sometimes.
For most everything else, what you need to do in life are those things that feed your soul, that make you feel good about who you are. A lot of times I only feel this sort of awkwardness when I am not in sync with my own self.
So absolutely, plan a day at home.
Step away from mean sarcastic people. I try to be around more positive people and it really helps.
Okay, off of my soap box now!
We share this difficulty.
1) keep walking and pretend you didn't hear.
2) no. At least I don't.
3)leave the food. You said, no. Don't take a bite and she can still wrap it as leftovers.
4) This is where the nice lie comes in. You have a prior commitment. You're so sorry, because you would have loved to come. You'll look forward to next time.
5) ouch!
That's just my opinion.
Post a Comment