I am not ashamed to admit that I absolutely love sleeping with my kids. I love listening to their gentle breathing sounds, sometimes loud snoring, the way they smell and their blankets smell, even the occasional nightmares can be an experience.
I have always enjoyed the times when I fall asleep next to Ash. I would wake up in the middle of the night to her gentle and rhythmic breathing sounds and it soothes me. They are so soothing like the waves upon the shore or a trickling brook. I remember the newborn days when I would creep into her room just to check to see if she's breathing or to check to make sure the temperature in the room is just right.
About two years ago, there were a period of time when Ash would sleep in our room with us. I had gotten so tired and lazy in waking up in the middle of the night to find her screaming and wailing until she vomits. Then hubby and I would have to drag our drowsy behinds to change the sheets on her crib and clean her up. After weeks of that same routine every night (yes, she is quite a persistent child) I gave in.
At first I was so hesitant in mentioning to others that she was sleeping with us, since it seems like such a big taboo to have a family bed. However, now that Ash is on her own, I still think back on the days when the whole family (dog included) would be all cozy in the same room, watching the Wiggles at 6am. Or at midnight, hubby and I would be curled up together in bed watching a movie and am able to see her, feel her breathing all without leaving each other.
So sometimes I question why not a family bed? I miss the bonding times and the closeness of the entire family.
Why not a family bed?
Because in time, the kids will not want to sleep with us.
Because in time, they will flee the nest.
Because in time, they will not even let us hug them in public.
Because in time, I will not be able to have that luxury of sniffing the top of their heads,
or the warmth of their forehead,
or listening to their gentle breathing next to my face.

No comments:
Post a Comment