Last night while I was feeding the little one, Ash woke up screaming for me. I quickly woke my sleeping hubby and handed off the baby.
"Mommy!"
"Mommy!"
"I'm coming!" I answered trying not to wake up my visiting in laws.
"What's wrong, baby?"
"Mommy fix my blanket."
So I fixed her blanket and watched her drifted off to sleep. I quickly slipped out of her room and back into ours to take the baby off my now sluggish and annoyed hubby.
"Mommy!" I heard less than 5 minutes later.
"Mommy... Mommy!" The cries more urgent and louder.
Desperately trying to soothe the baby while pondering if Ash will be waking up my in-laws and the sleeping hubby, I quickly went over with baby in my arms.
"Humph...humph" She pointed at the baby grunting and whining.
"Yes, Ashley?"
More grunting and whining...
"The baby?" I asked.
"Put baby down, Mommy! Put baby down!" She nodded and cried.
"Ok honey, but baby is crying and needs me too. Can I sit here with baby?"
"NO!!!! PUT BABY DOWN! GIVE BABY TO DADDY!" she screamed with tears streaming down her cheeks.
After what feels like forever to calm her down, I told her that I will put the baby down, but she will have to give me a minute. She reluctantly agreed.
After I put the baby down (whom thankfully fell asleep during the time in Ash's room) I returned to the now sobbing child.
"Ashley, is this better now?"
She nodded peering at me.
"Are you mad at Mommy?"
She shaked her head...
"I love you" I whispered in her ears...
She nodded.
"You still love Mommy?"
Silence.
Deeply saddened, I said, "I guess you don't love Mommy anymore ..."
She shakeed her head.
"You still love me?" I asked.
She nodded.
"Are you sad?"
All of a sudden, tears started to stream down her face and I started to weep with her.
"Are you sad that Mommy has to spend time with baby?" She nodded quickly.
"Ashley, I'm sorry, but you need to share Mommy with baby sometimes. But you're still my princess and I will always love you and come to you when you call, ok?"
She nodded with tears still streaming down her face.
After that, we held hands and cried together until she fell asleep.
Innocence lost... she finally realized that I'm no longer solely hers.
"Mommy!"
"Mommy!"
"I'm coming!" I answered trying not to wake up my visiting in laws.
"What's wrong, baby?"
"Mommy fix my blanket."
So I fixed her blanket and watched her drifted off to sleep. I quickly slipped out of her room and back into ours to take the baby off my now sluggish and annoyed hubby.
"Mommy!" I heard less than 5 minutes later.
"Mommy... Mommy!" The cries more urgent and louder.
Desperately trying to soothe the baby while pondering if Ash will be waking up my in-laws and the sleeping hubby, I quickly went over with baby in my arms.
"Humph...humph" She pointed at the baby grunting and whining.
"Yes, Ashley?"
More grunting and whining...
"The baby?" I asked.
"Put baby down, Mommy! Put baby down!" She nodded and cried.
"Ok honey, but baby is crying and needs me too. Can I sit here with baby?"
"NO!!!! PUT BABY DOWN! GIVE BABY TO DADDY!" she screamed with tears streaming down her cheeks.
After what feels like forever to calm her down, I told her that I will put the baby down, but she will have to give me a minute. She reluctantly agreed.
After I put the baby down (whom thankfully fell asleep during the time in Ash's room) I returned to the now sobbing child.
"Ashley, is this better now?"
She nodded peering at me.
"Are you mad at Mommy?"
She shaked her head...
"I love you" I whispered in her ears...
She nodded.
"You still love Mommy?"
Silence.
Deeply saddened, I said, "I guess you don't love Mommy anymore ..."
She shakeed her head.
"You still love me?" I asked.
She nodded.
"Are you sad?"
All of a sudden, tears started to stream down her face and I started to weep with her.
"Are you sad that Mommy has to spend time with baby?" She nodded quickly.
"Ashley, I'm sorry, but you need to share Mommy with baby sometimes. But you're still my princess and I will always love you and come to you when you call, ok?"
She nodded with tears still streaming down her face.
After that, we held hands and cried together until she fell asleep.
Innocence lost... she finally realized that I'm no longer solely hers.

2 comments:
:(
I'm sorry she's so sad. It's so hard to discover that you have to share mommy.
I found it doubly hard to watch M get to play with C while I had to care for the baby. I felt so left out!
Now that the baby is bigger it's so much easier and C understands that she still gets some one on one mommy time.
Post a Comment