5.28.2008

i saw it all happen one day...

Below are events that I observed in one day ...


-I was driving to work on the highway this morning, saw another driver swerving in and out of her lane. As our cars passed each other, I noticed the driver holding her phone to her head on one hand while shovelling something into her mouth then proceeded by drinking a hot beverage from starbucks. All this with two infants in the back seat.


-At lunch I decided to go to Target, which a nicely dressed, clean cut young man cut off a little old man walking into the store. He looked back and gave the old man a mean look and went swiftly into the store.


-While checking out at that same Target, there was another young man standing in an adjacent checkout line, dressed in punk rocker attire, skin covered in tats and piercings everywhere. He asked the white haired old lady behind him if she'd like to go before him since the line is so long.


-Driving back to work from Target, a young mom/care giver was crossing the street pushing a stroller while on the cellphone. The stroller nearly tipped over, yet she managed to clinch on to her phone and didn't break a stride in her conversation.


-On my way home from work, I saw in my rear view mirror two very shiny cars driving very fast and very close to each other (the traffic on the highway was already driving at 70+). As they passed me, I noticed that those are two cars packed with teenagers (who are definitely not friends) with about only a foot between the cars. They weaved in and out of the traffic as if they are physically linked together.


-I decided to stop off at the grocery store to pick up the ingredients for tonight's dinner. As I was standing the line, there was this little girl no older than Ashley, pushing a shopping cart full of stuff. 5 to 10 minutes went by, the checker rung up the last item in the cart and finally, an adult showed up (i am assuming her mom) with a few more items in hand.


Now, at 330am while feeding my baby, I realized that these chain of events are all memorable to me because I am a parent.


1. With two infants in the back seat, it is so dangerous multitasking on the highway distracted and swerving in and out of the lane.


2. & 3. Just because someone is clean cut, doesn't make them better mannered.


4. Hello! The stroller almost tipped over with the baby a near miss to hitting the street. Yet, she didn't stop the conversation on the cellphone to steady the stroller.


5. Can we say road rage? Think about their parents if something bad would have happened. This ain't the movie, 'Fast and the Furious'.


6. I know I live in a safe neighborhood, but leaving your child unattended for even seconds is unthinkable to me.


Ok, now that I got that off my chest... I'm going back to sleep.
Whew.

6 comments:

Miss Lisa said...

Wow--some people just amaze me :(
I hope you can see more positive events today!

Valarie Lea said...

I just amazes me the way people act these days. Except for the one incident all those people were thinkin about themselves and not the people around them, or the people they are caring for. Its a sad thing to witness sometimes.

Unknown said...

I know that my driving habits have definitely changed since having Ladybug. I'm not perfect, but I'm less concerned with having "my way" and more concerned with getting there safely! I have precious cargo!

DD said...

Very interesting points. I'm really glad you picked up on the "punk rocker" going out of his way to be nice. Too often we spot the bad and ignore the good. :) Good work.

Michelle@Life with Three said...

Wow. This post really made me think. Sometimes it seems like everyone is walking around but not really "present" to what's going on around them. We get busy doing other things and take our minds off of the task at hand.

PhotoChick said...

This just made my heart hurt... Why can't people be more conscientious of the world around them and less self-centered?

The incident with the teenagers and the multitasking mom will totally bring my idea of defensive driving to a new level...

You can bet that the next time I'm out & about I'll be keeping my eyes open as to what others are doing.

Well, hope you are doing great though! And thanks for a bit of an eye-opener. Much love to you & yours and God Bless!