6.08.2008

mates?

As I was pulling out of our driveway, I saw in a distance a crow standing in the middle of the street.

I drove up slowly, waiting for it to fly away...

It didn't.

It stood firm, as if challenging the car to hit it.

I got closer, I saw this small mass of black laying on the side of the street.

It was a dead crow.

All of a sudden, I felt immense sadness...

Is this crow standing around because it doesn't want to leave his mate? his companion? his fellow crow?

I inched forward and slowly that crow moved to the side of the street, yet didn't fly away.

It watched me closely guarding the dead crow.

As I pulled away, I felt so sad... could it really be that these fat, loud and obnoxious birds that I used to loath (they would squawk at early morning making sleeping in almost impossible...) actually have life long mates?

I'm no bird expert, so I will just believe the story I imagined.

9 comments:

DD said...

Oh thats so sad. It shows such a high level of committment though, you know? Think about people who have left people to DIE just so they could make it to the top of Mt. Everest on their stupid vacation. And here's this crow willing to stand its ground and potentially die to stay by the side of one near to it. Good stuff.

DD said...

Oh PS. I totally didnt make it to the post office before I left. But I'll be putting it in the mail on Monday.

Sarah said...

This is so sad! It actually made me cry, but that isn't that difficult these days :)

Unknown said...

crows are much smarter than we realize. they have great memories so I wouldn't be surprised if he was standing by his mate.

Unknown said...

That is sad. :(

ink said...

I just looked up crows last week because I saw a bunch sitting on a telephone line and they creeped me out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crow

And here's an entry about the American crow that talks about its role in pop culture (and also mentions that they're monogamous! The kids usually stay around the nest to help rear the next set of hatchlines as well!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Crow

Anonymous said...

This was a sad story to begin my day. : ( Monday's are hard already, what are you trying to do to me : )

mah-meeee said...

thanks ink. i just looked up the link.

poor crow. that crow was no longer there last night. there were no sqawking this morning either.

Miss Lisa said...

Can't believe I am this upset about a crow :(
great writing!