Have ya'll watch the movie You've got mail? Maybe you have, maybe you haven't, or maybe you have not memorize the scenes like I have. (Oh, hush!)
Anyhow, I think I have watched the movie so many times because I identify with the main character, Kathleen Kelly aka Meg Ryan. Not only do I love her connection with her mother (which I have with my mother and I hope to have with my daughters,) but I especially identify with her inability to express negative feelings towards another when called for.
There was this scene when her main adversary/interest and herself were emailing about how she can't give her enemy her come back to their put downs and how she can't express her negative feelings towards them in person like she would like. She would draw "blanks". *quotes from movie below *
That is me.
When confronted with a negative or direct insult to me or who I am ... I feel angry, I feel hurt, I feel attacked. But most importantly... I drew "blanks."
In the movie, Joe Fox aka Tom Hanks, tells her that when you were able to say exactly what you want to say, "remorse eventually follows." I know that remorse eventually follows, but some parts of me just want to be that quick witted cold hearted 'ahem', just so that I can finally express what I feel inside.
Is that so wrong? What should I do the next time when I get hurt again?
So far, my only solution is to avoid those people at all cost. But I know it's only temporary.
*Here's the quote from the movie*
Joe Fox: [talking via email, to who he doesn’t know is Kathleen Kelly] Have you ever become the worst version of yourself. That a Pandora's box of all the hateful things, your spite, your arrogance, your condescension has sprung open? Someone upsets you and instead of smiling and walking away... you zing them. "Hello it's Mr Nasty". I'm sure you have no idea what I'm talking about...
Kathleen Kelly: [talking via email, to who she doesn’t know is Joe Fox] No I know exactly what you mean and I'm completely jealous. When I'm confronted by someone I get tongue tied and my mind goes blank. Then I spend the rest of the night tossing and turning over what i should have said. For example what should I have recently said to… [meaning confrontation with Joe]
Kathleen Kelly: …a bottom dweller who recently belittled my existence. [stops and thinks]
Kathleen Kelly: Nothing... even now days later I still can't figured it out...
Joe Fox: Wouldn’t it be great if I could pass all my zingers to you, then I could always be nice and you could be nasty whenever you wanted to be. Although I must warn you... when you eventually have the pleasure of saying the thing you want to say at the moment you’re wanting to say it... remorse eventually follows...
Quotes taken from here.

2 comments:
I sat in an awful meeting just this morning where a dad of one of my kids spoke to me in an awful way. In 11 years of teaching, I have never had a parent meeting even remotely as devastating as this. In fact, I've never had a parent call a meeting.
He attacked my character, he told me he's heard rumors about me, he attacked my family! It was awful. Basically, my principal didn't allow me to speak, and that was the worst part.
I am not a shy flower, and I can be direct, but in a fair way. I was not allowed to do this, and I am feeling so bruised. But, I also cannot make it my story. Many amazing things happened today--and that's what I am focusing on!
I'm sure people admire you for your gift to hold your tongue and your sweet heart. It is apparent to me thousands of miles away!
Hugs!
I think it is probably better to not be able to get the words out. I had a terrible temper when I was younger. Then I overcompensated and stopped ever getting angry. I think the hardest situations are those like Ellie above says - where you are unable to respond because of some professional reason. You just have to take it. Sometimes maybe that is the wiser course anyway... you then let the other person look bad. As bad as their temper makes them be.
Post a Comment