I woke up today with a slight twitch on my face....
I tried to pretend that everything is good and well...
Today is THE DAY...
We started with a lazy morning for the kids watching their favorite morning TV shows and I busied myself changing over the kids clothes in the dressers from the summer basics to the warmer winter ones.
After a light breakfast, Ash got dressed into her ballet outfit and we all got ready for a 'normal' Saturday morning. As we got everyone ready, we strapped the kids into their car seats and casually mentioned about a detour.
It's our assigned flu shot clinic day at our doctor's office.
*Silence*
"What do you mean, shots?" The princess asked.
"It's the one that EVERYONE has to get for the winter."
She looked out the car window...
"But the leaves are not orange yet... it's not winter, we're early."
I chuckled and said, " Yes, but we need to be ready for the winter, it'll be here really soon. Didn't you notice that the weather is getting cooler?"
*more silence*
"Is it going to hurt?"
"Not really," I said reassuringly (praying inside that she didn't detect my nervousness,) "It'll be a little hurt and then it's all done."
"Oh, ok... "
*more silence*
I looked back to see her looking outside a little serious and very very quiet.
We got in the long line and there were tons of kids and lots were complaining about how 'shots are bad.' I had to explain to princess that everyone feels differently about shots and I think it's not bad at all.
The whole time in the pediatrics line, we were surrounded by whiny/crying/screaming kids... I'm trying very hard to not be nervous. After all, if my kids scream it'll be no big deal since everyone else is screaming... right?
We finally got to the nurses stations and when our nurse asked who wants to go first in our family of four... surprisingly Ash said "I'll go first" with a 'let's-get-it-over-with' tone. I tried not to let my jaw drop and hubby and I praised her and told her what a great example she was for her little sister.
Both kids got their shots without even a wince! The whole time our nurse has a smile from ear to ear as the other nurses wrestle their kids to get the shot in.
"That only hurt a lil bit.." She mumbled as she sucks on her lollipop.
"Oh good... that was nothing, right?"
"Yup, nothing at all!" She exclaimed to the kids waiting in line with a huge grin as we exited the clinic to the parking lot.
I was so proud, for once I'm not the one with the screaming kids.
Though I think it went so fast with so much going on that Court probably never figured out what happened except that she has a sore thigh just about now. :)

3 comments:
Please tell Miss A. that I have had four shots this week, and they didn't hurt so much either.
We are so brave!
Your kids are so brave!
I always try to tell Clara that it's just a prick, not a shot. She and Lucie try to be brave for each other, though I don't think they'd manage so well if they saw other kids getting their shots before! Yikes!
Post a Comment