So apparently my oldest has inherited my childhood mute-ness when being confronted. She gets mute and unable to explain her side of the story and thus gets blamed alot for something she later claims at home she did not do.
How do I teach a child to find her voice? Recently, I've even attended a 'raising confident girls' talk at a local church and find that it was not too helpful. Without outlining the 'free' talk, I feel that the talk was just a vehicle to promote the speaker's company/programs. Anyhow...
Since I trust all my readers (ahem - all two of you know who you are...) it'll be great to get some ideas. So any ideas?

2 comments:
Ahem, if I am one of those friends, I don't know if I can help because my son would talk at great length to just about anyone when he was a kid.
There's nothing wrong, especially for a child of her age, for Mama to explain this trait to any and all adult care givers.
I have shy kids, and I know it's hard for them to speak up, and I tend to give them words to choose from, "Christopher says you did this, did you do this? Yes or no?" Then only a head nod is needed--or a head shake...
Unfortunately, it's really hard to get the time for such discussions, but they can happen.
Oh, this is a tough one. Wish I had some advice for you. Is she shy with strangers in general? If so, I'd work on the general shyness and trust that the shyness-when-confronted will go away at the same time.
Maybe you can role play with her?
Post a Comment