10.26.2006

How to calm a hysterical child?


I must talk to her pediatrician soon.

Ash has no ability to calm down on her own ... within an hour that is. Every time she starts to wail (at ANYTIME ... sometimes 2, 3, 4, or 5 am!) she seems to go straight into the hysteria and unable to stop herself.

I was sooo rudely interrupted at 530 am this morning by the wailing and the immediate hysteria right when I step into her room.
(OK, I must admit, 530 am definitely beats one that starts at ... let's say... 2am. Since I'm an insomniac anyway, I usually wake up at about 3am.)
So I tried to help her with what she was wailing about... but alas, it was no good. The hysteria has completely taken over her system and the uncontrollable screaming began.

How do one calm a hysterical child? She was so hysterical that she would start to shake her head and body... she almost looked like one of those handicapped child that shakes uncontrollably. So fear sets in, what if ... something is wrong with her? I mean she has always done this that I never even thought of ... maybe something is wrong with her.

An over-active mind, is what I've been told by a few. But seriously... really? Could all this be just her temper and stubbornness? I can't wait until she can just say what's wrong and what she wants.

So... in true Ashley fashion, after a long hysterical scream-fest, all of a sudden it stops. It stops just as quick and mysterious as how it started. She then proceeded to say to me ...

"sooo big, Ashley big"
"pooh, Ashley big"
"tigger, Ashley big"

You must be thinking... nightmare, right? I beg to differ... she was saying all this with a big huge grin on her face...

No comments: