So the day has come... the day of the dreaded flu-shot-day for Ashley. I have been dreading this day since her terrible-two's phase started. She has always been one of those 'screaming' child at the doctor's office. Actually, her pediatrician's nurses known her as the 'screaming child.' All the nurses would stick the new nurses on Ashley whenever one is in training. It actually became a small joke that even I knew... and laugh about.
So we arrived at the doctor's office and she started her whinning. A fearful type of whine and timid cries. But it's the actual in-the-exam-room, that I'm fearful about. She has gotten much stronger since the last time we went and alot heavier. I was dreading not being able to hold her down and someone will get hurt in the process.
About 2 minutes after we arrived, the new nurse called us in. On my way inside, I saw the doctor and the nurses that we know... I said, "Sorry everyone for the screaming that will happen in a minute." Everyone smiled forcefully and looked at me in the most pitiful way.
As true Ashley form, she started to cry and scream once we got in. I was glad that the new nurse was fast on her feet and we timed it perfectly. As I bear-hug her tighly in my lap the nurse immediately swabbed her arm and gave her the shot.
I came prepared... the minute the shot is over, I pulled out a GIANT pumpkin shaped orange cookie and showed it to Ashley. She almost immediately forgot the sting. She said, 'pop-kin' and looked at her arm, 'sticker' (that was the Tweety bandaid they gave her.) I was glad that the screaming was minimal! We exited the exam room and all the nurses said, 'good girl' 'wow, that was quick' 'good job, ashley.' I hurriedly left the office, just in case.
So our day did not end there.
I took her to walk around since I took the day off. Heck, Mama needs to shop! So we went to the mall... she was good at first, letting me shop for her clothes. But alas, the minute we went into a 'mama-store' the whinning and screaming commenced. We left the mall with some potty training underpants for Ashley... and that's about all the time I had!
Trouble started when we left the mall in our car... she literally screamed and went hysterical on me. "out! mama, all done. out!" As she tries to get out of her child seat. About 15 minutes later, like every other Ashley-episode, she vomited.
I am determined to stick to my guns and let her sit in her vomit and cry until I get home. I did not even look at her in the mirror (at least not to her knowledge.)
Finally, after 30 minutes of screaming, kicking, & crying in her vomit.
She stopped.
Looked around silently.
Trouble started when we left the mall in our car... she literally screamed and went hysterical on me. "out! mama, all done. out!" As she tries to get out of her child seat. About 15 minutes later, like every other Ashley-episode, she vomited.
I am determined to stick to my guns and let her sit in her vomit and cry until I get home. I did not even look at her in the mirror (at least not to her knowledge.)
Finally, after 30 minutes of screaming, kicking, & crying in her vomit.
She stopped.
Looked around silently.
I wondered to myself... "what happened?"

No comments:
Post a Comment