10.24.2006

Trauma

So this past weekend I had one of those traumatic being-a-parent experience.

The day started out fine with hubby and I drinking coffee and talking about Bollywood movies (which, in itself can be a different blog altogether.) I was thinking to myself, "gosh, this feels nice, I can't remember the last time we had an interesting adult conversation together." As life would have it... I then was punished for stealing a moment of peace and quiet. I hear a noise that went click-click-click. "Oh SH*T" I said out loud. The inevitable happened... my 2 year old locked herself in her room. I knew moving into this house a month ago that we will have to change the locks to all the doors because the previous owners had not leave us a key to these rooms. And this house had the old style locks where you actually need a 'key.'

PANIC.

PANIC as I hear her repeatedly screaming and crying frantically on the other side. "MAMA... MAMA... out... all done." We tried to calm her down by slipping our hands and various things to distract her. Nothing worked. So I called the locksmith and maybe they can sense the trembling in my voice...

"how soon can you get here?"
"about an hour"
"not sooner?"
"what's the situation?"
"my toddler locked herself in her room..."
"umm... you're going to have to call 911, we can't help you."
*click* i hung up immediately and told my hubby that he needs to call 911.

As a typical man, he then tries to convince me that we can do this without calling 911.
"CALL 911!" I screamed at him repeatedly.

Ashley is now hyperventilating and still screaming "MAMA, out. all done. MAMA..." Now, she starts to kick and pound the door... almost ramming herself into it.

"The firemen will be here shortly." my hubby tells me in a calm-down-the-wife tone.
Minutes, but what feels like hours went by and finally they get here. In like a minute, they picked the lock and Ashley was stunned to see all these people, but out at last.

With snot EVERYWHERE and sweat in her hair and on her forehead... she said to the nice fireman... "booger! booger!"

Oh, my dear baby is out!

This is one traumatic experience that I still tremble thinking about what had happened. Of course, my hubby changed all the locks in the house that day.

No comments: