The day had arrived. The day that we've dreaded ... first day of preschool.
E and I had been trying to prep her for her impending doom of the first day of 'big girl school.' It's not that we are negative, but just look at her past history and you would feel the same way too.
First, she has always had a Mommy-seperation-anxiety problem. Second, let's look at her past history of starting something 'new'.
There was the first few weeks of day care.... where she spent only a few hours a day there, but had persistent screaming, crying, kicking, and vomitting the hours she was there. We all thought she was going to be the first day care drop out.
Then there were many other 'classes' that we attempted to start her in. Which was met with the teachers or care givers contacting us within 15 minutes of leaving her to come and retrieve our child.
So with that said, you must some-what understand our worries of her starting preschool. We tried to prep her and also prepping ourselves for the worst.
So, come the first day of preschool ... E & I dropped her off and she seems fine especially after a few times of 'visiting' the school and her teachers the week before. We spent about 5 to 10 minutes there when the teacher signaled us to leave, giving us the nod that she'll be fine.
Only seconds we turned our backs and head out... we hear that oh-so-familiar screaming and crying. "Ah sh*t" is what ran through my mind. We stood outside where she can't see us and I tried to restrain every part of my body to stay put, to stand our ground, while fighting back the tears that were ready to stream down my face. It was so sad to hear her scream and cry so devastatedly... it was gut-wrenching.
(Seriously, I felt like someone had stuck a tiny fork in me and was trying to fish out my insides .. slowly. Sorry for the grossness here...)
We crept in the school office where we can peek into the court yard were the kids were 'playing.' We heard other kids crying which was comforting in a wicked way, but her screams and cries were definitely by far the worst. About 10 minutes later, the teacher saw us peeking and said to us, "Don't worry, I think she's calming down now. You guys can leave, no problem." At that time, E and I noticed that the sounds of her cries did die down and we decided to leave.
The whole time at work, I was just worried sick. I was checking my cell phone every 5 minutes to make sure I didn't miss a call, possibly from her preschool. By the time 11:20 rolls around, I figured that her day care lady had picked her up and she should be at day care where she is comfortable (Isn't it funny? Given her 'start' there? She loves it there now!) I fought back urges to call right away and waited until almost noon before I picked up my phone to call.
To my surprise, her day care lady said that she did fine and the preschool teacher said that there was no more crying after we left and she was good. She was already happy at day care, eating her lunch and even peeped in the toilet with no accidents at preschool or at day care.
(Oh yeah, which is another blog in itself... her potty training adventure... right before I started her in preschool.)
As usual, I worried too much.

No comments:
Post a Comment