9.26.2007

ballet

I think every little girl wants to be a ballerina. What's the mystic? I remember taking a ballet class when I was about Ashley's age and got burned by the words of cruel little girls that forever turned me off of ballet. (I've never seen a nutcracker performance, believe it or not.) Long story short, I was a chubby child... so when I took the ballet class the other little girls (and a teacher) had called me in chinese, 'diakon' (chinese raddish) legs. I never went back since.

Until now, all that painful memories comes flooding back in my head as my own daughter asks about taking ballet class. It all happened one night when she came home from day care and said to me...

"Mommy, 'so and so' go to ballet class then go home."
"Oh yeah? Did she go to ballet class after she got picked up?"
"Yeah. Is Ashley going to ballet then go home too?"
"No honey, I'm sorry. But Mommy will look into it, ok?"
a look of disappointment draped on her face...
"Oh, ok."
pause...
"Mommy,Ashley go to ballet class too?"

A feeling of being a bad Mommy started to fill in my heart. I felt so bad that I wasn't on top of things to get her to do these classes that many of our friends' kids are doing. Am I being a bad Mommy? I did enroll her in a community ballet class, but it's not my fault that it got canceled!

So like the 'black shoes' incident, I rushed to call all the neighboring dance studios to find that all the classes in her age range are all full. Truly bummed out, I had to put her on all these waiting lists and started to span out of our immediate 'tri-city' area. Man, parents now-a-days are really aggressive and want their child to succeed in life, eh?

Finally, I got a call back from one of the neighboring studios claiming we can try out their class this weekend. However, parents are not allowed to stay and I am praying that Ashley will step up like a big girl and be ok with me not being inside the class. I wouldn't want her to lose a spot just because of that. Because who knows when the next opening in a dance studio will open up!

1 comment:

ink said...

i loved ballet! my parents have pictures of me in ballet class at age 5, and 10, and 16... i still have every pair of toe shoes i've ever worn, and it really gave me a lot of structure when i was in high school. besides, it's a convenient scapegoat for my lack of womanly assets =).

she'll do fine. you know what's next right? MUSIC LESSONS!!!!