9.17.2007

fear

When do we learn the fear of losing someone? Last night, Ash woke up
in the middle of the night telling me of this nightmare she had.
Something about water came and Mommy went bye bye. Then the straw
(don't ask me why) took Ashley and her friend to straw's home.

She was sobbing but you can tell she's starting to wake up knowing
that I'm right there and didn't go bye bye. Then when I reassured her
that I'm still here and it was a dream. She clutched my hand so tight
and told me to not go bye bye. It took about 20 minutes before she
starts to drift back to sleep still clutching my hand tightly.

I tried not to cry because to a child, you can never tell them that
Mommy is not going to be there with her forever. But you still have
to grin and tell her to not worry and to go back to sleep.

When do a child develop this fear of losing their parents?

As the cycle continues, when we become parents, the role reverses and
the fear of dying and leaving your child sets in.

No comments: