As I was just killing time today waiting for the time to come to go to my first official parent-teacher-night at Ash's preschool, I decided to pop in the dvd I had made of her when she was first born.
It'll be a good preparation for Ash to understand the coming of her sister, right? Wrong!
After about half way through the short dvd, I had to get ready to go...
"Mommy?"
"Yes honey. Mommy has to go to a meeting now."
"Mommy ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"
"Don't leave Mommy! Mommy no hospital!"
"No, sweetie, Mommy is just going to go out for a little bit, I'll be right back."
"NOOOOOO! Mommy go home! Mommy don't leave!"
(I think she meant stay home, but I'm not sure why she always say 'go' home.)
As I try to fight my urge to just take off with no further explanation, I decided that it'll be better to make sure she understands before I leave.
"Listen, Mommy will be right back, ok?"
"No... no hospital, no doctor! Mommy, Ashley, baby go home!"
"Ashley, listen. Mommy is going to be right back. I'm not going to the hospital, I'm going to go see teacher Janine and I'll be right back."
"No Mommy, Ashley go too. MY teacher Janine."
"Yes Ashley, it's your teacher, but it's a Mommies only night."
"No Mommy. No doctor, go home."
After a few more minutes, she finally calmed down.
I left as she looked at me and is still sniffling....
So that got me thinking, what am I going to do when it is time to go to the hospital for real? How is she going to deal with that and what can I do to make her feel at ease?

2 comments:
i know nothing about how babies are born (well, i know HOW they're born, but not the logistics of how the hospital stay happens), but are you going to leave ashley at home when you give birth? or is she coming to the hospital with you?
no, no kids allowed in the hospital while in labor/giving birth. (at least the hospital i'm delivering at.) typically you'll leave your child at home with someone. you wouldn't want them to see all the blood and grossness that comes with giving birth now.
i believe siblings can come visit the newborn after but not allowed overnight or during.
Post a Comment