2.12.2008

smell

I caught this terrible cold that is going around this past Friday which included something that looked like a pink eye. The next morning, I can barely open my eyes because they were so red and swollen. My coughing was deep and 'meaty' and my nose congested accompanied by a real bad case of a headache.

Long story short, that cold had already turned into a sinus infection when I noticed it. I was put on antibiotics and some mucinex. Maybe it's a combination of all the other stuff I normally take, I somehow woke up this morning with no sense of smell at all. I can breathe, yet I can not smell a thing. (Which made eating really fun, since I can taste if something is salty or sweet but I can not tell you what in the world I'm eating.)

"Ashley, Ashley, can you come here to help me?"
"Ooookay..." she replied unwillingly.
"What? I mean Yes?" She said to me when she got to baby's room.
(We had been working on her not answering us with "WHAT?" Which I know she probably learned it from me...)
"Honey, can you tell me if baby smell like poop?"
She looked at me with a furrow... then replied, "Yes, Mommy! Baby stinky!"
Crap, I thought, "I really can't smell a thing!"
"Honey, can you tell me if Mommy smells yucky?"
She came over and sniffed both sides of my neck.
"Nope, Mommy smells like nothing."

If only she knows how much of an inconvienience it is to only smell 'nothing.' Must be tough for those who have this condition permanently and have to wonder whether they smell nice or replusive. Whether their baby has pooped in their diaper. Whether what they are eating is really just chicken. Whether the 'leather' jacket they bought is real leather.

Gosh, I hope my condition is not permanent!

No comments: