9.12.2009

sleep training

As some of you might know, I have a HUGE sleep disorder.

It has reached a point that I needed to take charge... to sleep train myself again (according to my doctor.) I've had alot of trouble sleeping for a few years now and it became more of an anxiety when it comes time to sleep. Sometimes, it would take me an hour or two to get to sleep and every time I wake up (ahem remember how my 21 month old that still doesn't sleep through the night?) it'll take me another hour to fall asleep. Needless to say, I'm really tired but restless.

So I've cut down on caffeine to only one cup a day - first thing in the morning, of course. It took me a few weeks of nodding off at 3 in the afternoon, but I think I'm finally over it. Whew!

In place of all the caffeine and soda that I drink during the day, I've been slowly replacing it with ice cold water. I'm now drinking around 5 water bottles of water a day. (In which the interesting thing is that if I drink less than that nowadays, I feel dehydrated!)

Every night, after the kids go down, I started with my new relaxing routine. I put on some mint and lavender lotion, heat up my aromatherapy eye mask and lay down in bed. So far, with all the changes I've made I don't think I'm sleeping much more, but the anxiety has definitely lessened.

Wish me luck and hopefully I can finally sleep train myself - then I'll attack the problem with the baby.

2 comments:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

They say avoiding screen time before bed for at least an hour is good too. Do you read? Try Leviticus!

I'm glad you're feeling less anxious. You beat yourself up way too much. Quit that.

I'm reading at church tomorrow, and I just came up here to practice--
Matthew 6:25-34. Check it out. It fits.

Thanks for that God.

Anonymous said...

I have struggled with sleep for most of my life too. I finally found a dr that prescribed sleeping pills but they gave me bad dreams. Gah!

I too only do caffeine in the morning (or later only if I have a performance requiring me to stay up late!). And I installed a window AC unit in my bedroom even though I have central air. The extra coolness and white noise helps. I've found that avoiding sugar in the evening helps too.

Wishing you sweet dreams!