12.29.2009

cabin fever

Since there is no child care over the holiday break, I'm home with the kids all 11 days. My kids are real home bodies, no one seems to want to go out and do anything but wants to just play at home. Since the weather has been on and off lately, I don't mind staying in on yucky days like today.



At some point, I just got soooo bored and out of ideas of how to keep the 5 yr old and the 2 yr old entertained. So this afternoon, I pumped up fun kids music and started to just dance around... the 2 yr old was amused and joined in. The 5 yr old... not so much.

With her tush still parked solidly on the kiddie couch in the toy room (the family room that we made into the toy room... and our living room is our central family room. Hard to explain, but we have a really open floor plan in this house) she looked at me with horror ...





Ash: STOP MOMMY, STOP IT!


Me: Come on Ash, come dance with us!


A: NO MOMMY, STOP!!!


*I continued to dance hoping to get her to stand up and do ~ something*





she stood up.


A shouted: You are the rudest Mommy I've ever had!


M: Why? I'm just dancing.


A: You are so strange!


M: That's not good?

*she crossed her arms and was looking very angrily at me*
A: I can't believe you! You are the weirdest Mommy EVER!




I can just see this scene repeat again in her teen or preteen years... except that one will be accompanied by a door slam and me lecturing behind her.

But then again, she did have the only Mommy that got dressed up in a full on costume for Halloween.... Good thing she wasn't too embarrassed to go trick or treating with me!




6 comments:

Soliloquy said...

Ha! As I was reading, I was thinking, "Is this girl 5? or FIFTEEN?!"

Sounds about right.

Keep the crazy. She'll love you for it one day.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Maybe she's just getting it out of her system early. Tell her my fourth graders still dance--not with me, but when the Wellness teacher comes in they do some kind of dance. I have to sit at my desk and not laugh at the sheer joy of it.

Let's hope she allows herself some joy again. Absolutely keep the crazy!

olive said...

I LOVE THE POOH COSTUME. Is it hanging in your closet beside your little black dresses? Can I borrow it sometime?

a Tonggu Momma said...

Any woman who calls Soliloquy a friend and can rock a Pooh costume like that is a woman I have to get to know better.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

Unknown said...

You are the rudest Mommy I've ever had!

I seriously laughed out loud when I read that! You're in for it with her, lady. :)